Through the School’s Coaching Program, KIS participates in a range of competitive sports leagues and events. These include athletics, badminton, basketball, football, golf, squash, swimming, table tennis, tennis and volleyball. Other sports may be added. KIS is a founding member of AISAA, an international school sports league, where sports are organized into three seasons. Trials for main sports run at the beginning of the academic year. Students joining the school later in the year will still have the possibility of joining the teams.
Our after school programme for both primary and secondary students offers non-competitive sports for those who want to stay active, have fun and participate in non-competitive sporting activities. These sports include badminton, tennis, basketball, football, futsol, swimming, table tennis, volleyball touch rugby and dance clubs. In addition, in Primary School, students may partake in Tae Kwon Do and gymnastics.
A balanced P.E. year tyically includes the following type of experiences.
- Individual Pursuits
- This involves the development of basic motor skills and the body's capacity for movement through locomotor and manipulative skills.
- It also includes the techniques, rules and purpose of a variety of athletic activities.
- Movement composition
- Here the students will recognize that movements can be linked together and refined to create a sequence of aesthetic movements.
- The students will recognize the challenges presented by games.
- The students will learn the importance of manipulating space, the categorizing of games,identifying and developing the appropriate skills and strategies for games,recognizing the importance of rules and how they define the nature of a game, modifying existing games and creating new games and the importance of teamwork.
- Adventure Challenges
- The students will participate in a variety of tasks requiring critical thinking skills as an individual or in groups.
- The students will be involved in challenges that require groups to work collaboratively together in order to solve problems and accomplish a common goal.
The goal of these programmes in the Primary and Secondary Schools is to have the students recognize and appreciate the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Physical Education at KIS aims to engage and empower students to understand the value of living a balanced, healthy lifestyle. Students learn, both about and through, physical and health education.
An inquiry-based learning approach is used to enable students to develop physical, health, and sport concepts, first at a basic level and then in progressively more complex situations. In addition to subject-specific content, students also learn how to work effectively with others by refining collaboration and communication skills. Swimming is not only encouraged, but it is also a part of the curriculum at KIS Additionally our programmes allow for the development of leadership skills and a sense of social responsibility. Being in an international school, the program aims to expose students to a variety of games and activities from around the world, providing further opportunities for intercultural understanding. PE at KIS strives to allow every student to experience success while simultaneously challenging them to step outside of their comfort zone with the goal of reaching their potential.
Ultimately the goal of the program is to foster well-rounded young adults who understand the intrinsic value of living a healthy lifestyle, and who have the required physical literacy and confidence to participate in, and enjoy long-term physical activity.